Wednesday, April 4, 2012

BEDA 4/4: Let's get down to business to defeat the calories.

Good evening everyone! I just got home from Zumba* for the first time in a while. I used to go four times a week, and I was thinking about getting certified to teach, but this semester I've just been busy and out of it and haven't been attending. Sometime during my absence, our cool-down songs at the end of class went from being popular songs played on the radio to Disney songs. I go to two different Zumba classes on Wednesdays, one hour-long class and one half hour-long class, both taught by the same sisters. During the first class we cooled down to Can You Feel the Love Tonight from Lion King (the movie version, which I love several times more than the Elton John one) and in the second class we cooled down to one of my favorite Disney songs from my favorite Disney movie: A Whole New World from Aladdin.
If you know me at all, you know I was geeking out like a child in a candy store about my instructors playing Disney music, and While A Whole New World was playing, I started thinking. If I got that excited about dancing/stretching to one Disney song, how cool would it be to work out to lots of them?
A plan began to formulate in my head, and after class I went up to Alysa, my instructor, and said "I need to start a Disney-themed fitness class where we work out to Disney music and use choreography from or inspired by the movies." I was mostly saying it casually, almost as a joke, but she looked at me and said "I would go to that."
A few girls behind me, stragglers from the class that had just ended, overheard what I was saying, and said they would definitely go to it as well. A few girls said their whole sorority would go to something like that. I was really surprised; it was just a silly, nerdy thing that I'd thought up and I didn't really think people would be interested in it. But they were, and it really excited me. Alysa told me to email the woman who runs the fitness center on campus (where my zumba classes are held) and let her know my idea. I could work on what I would do in the class over summer break and apply for a position in the fall, and if the people who run the center like it, I could actually do this. A Disney-themed fitness/dance class.
The idea is super exciting to me. I've never done any choreography and don't know how good I would be at it, but I've got a few months to work on the idea and find out if it's something I could actually do. But if it does work out, I would be teaching, getting into shape (which I desperately need), listening to Disney music, and getting paid to do it all. I can't imagine how awesome that would be.
Anyway, I just really wanted to share this with you guys. I don't know if it's going to happen or not, but I'm really excited about it and wanted to see what you all thought. If you have suggestions or ideas be sure to let me know in the comments!
Love you all and hope you have a wonderful night.
<3

*In case you haven't heard of Zumba, it's a type of dance/fitness class that combines different types of Latin dance and puts it to pop or hip hop music. It's a lot of fun and burns a lot of calories.

Currently reading: Everyone's BEDA posts!
Song of the Day: 21 Guns- American Idiot (Also Green Day but I was listening to the musical version)
Number of fitness classes attended today: 4 I'M A (not quite) LEAN, (not really) MEAN, CALORIE KICKIN' MACHINE

4 comments: